CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2014 CONTEST WINNERS!
Judges’ 1st Place Winner
Humpback Whale Breaching, Moss Landing
By Shane Keena
Welcome to the 16th annual California ocean and coastal amateur photography contest, sponsored by the California Coastal Commission, the California Thank You Ocean campaign, and Fairmont Hotels of California. The contest features photographs that reflect the importance that the coast and ocean has for California residents and the role that the Coastal Commission, Natural Resources Agency and Ocean Protection Council have played in preserving coastal and marine resources.
Entry was free and open to all amateur photographers. An amateur photographer is defined as someone who earns less than 50 percent of their income from photography. Photographs in this contest feature the following subjects:
- The scenic coast and Pacific Ocean off California,
- People and the California coast, and
- California ocean and coastal wildlife.
Congratulations to our Viewers’ Choice Winner!
Viewer’s Choice 1st Place
“Laguna Bluebelt” by Mitch Ridder
A winter storm rolls in off the ocean as the tower of Hotel Laguna is lit in the foreground. Laguna’s Bluebelt is where the coves of Laguna Beach meet the sea as a state Marine Protected Area preserving the coast for future generations.
- Contest Opens: June 9, 2014
- Submission Deadline: 11:59 pm PDT July 18, 2014
- Voting Deadline: 11:59 pm PDT August 1, 2014
- Announcement of Viewers’ Choice Award: mid-August 2014
- Announcement of Judges’ Choice Award: September 2014
At least four winners will be announced for this contest. Online voters will select one “Viewers’ Choice” winner, while a panel of professional photographers, naturalists, and Coastal Commission and Thank You Ocean staff will select “Judges’ Choice” winners for first, second, and third place.
Winners will select from the following donated prizes:
- An overnight stay and breakfast in Sonoma County courtesy of The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa.
- An overnight stay in Orange County, including breakfast and valet parking, courtesy of the Fairmont Newport Beach hotel.
- A overnight stay in San Francisco courtesy of the Fairmont Hotel San Francisco atop Nob Hill.
- A two-night stay in San Jose courtesy of the Fairmont San Jose hotel.
Photo Contest Exhibit
We are pleased to announce that our photos are currently on exhibit around the state. Come check out these winning photos in-person!
- April 21 – June 9, 2014: Center Gallery, Anaheim Downtown Community Center, Anaheim, CA
- June 16 – July 31, 2014: Sacramento Pipeworks, Sacramento, CA
- September – October 2014: Westhaven Center for the Arts, Trinidad, CA
2013 Ocean and Coastal Photo Contest Winners