The 17th annual California Ocean and Coastal Amateur Photography Contest, sponsored by the California Coastal Commission, the California Thank You Ocean campaign, and Fairmont Hotels of California will take place in summer 2015. The contest features photographs that reflect the importance that the coast and ocean has for California residents and the role that the Coastal Commission, Natural Resources Agency and Ocean Protection Council have played in preserving coastal and marine resources.
Entry is free and open to all amateur photographers. An amateur photographer is defined as someone who earns less than 50 percent of their income from photography. Photographs in this contest feature the following subjects:
- The scenic coast and Pacific Ocean off California,
- People and the California coast, and
- California ocean and coastal wildlife.
Photo Contest Exhibit
We are pleased to announce that our photos are currently on exhibit around the state. Come check out the winning photos in-person!
- March 2016: Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA
- December 2014 - January 2015: Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, 1021 Ranch Road, Loleta, CA
- September – October 2014: Westhaven Center for the Arts, Trinidad, CA
- June 16 – July 31, 2014: Sacramento Pipeworks, Sacramento, CA
- April 21 – June 9, 2014: Center Gallery, Anaheim Downtown Community Center, Anaheim, CA
2015 Contest Timeline
- Contest Opens: June 8, 2015
- Submission Deadline: 11:59 pm PDT July 17, 2015
- Voting Deadline: 11:59 pm PDT July 31, 2015
- Announcement of Viewers’ Choice Award: mid-August 2015
- Announcement of Judges’ Choice Award: September 2015
Four winners will be announced for this contest. Online voters will select one “Viewers’ Choice” winner, while a panel of professional photographers, naturalists, and Coastal Commission and Thank You Ocean staff will select “Judges’ Choice” winners for first, second, and third place.
Winners will select from the following donated prizes:
- A two-night stay in Sonoma County and complimentary bottle of wine, courtesy of The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa.
- A two-night stay in Orange County, including valet parking, courtesy of the Fairmont Newport Beach hotel.
- An overnight stay in San Jose and complimentary brunch for two, courtesy of the Fairmont San Jose hotel.
- A complimentary dinner and cocktails for two at the Tonga Room, courtesy of the Fairmont San Francisco, plus two tickets to a show, courtesy of Steve Silver’s Beach Blanket Babylon.
The judges will also select a number of honorable mentions, who will receive coupons for a free meal courtesy of Rubio’s.
2014 Ocean and Coastal Photo Contest Winners
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2014 CONTEST WINNERS!
Judges’ 1st Place Winner
Humpback Whale Breaching, Moss Landing
By Shane Keena
Ocean and Coastal Photo Contest Winners
The power of a breaching whale, the luminous mystery of Morro Bay at sunrise, the quiet drama of a surfing memorial and a startling seafloor surprise–all are captured by photographers in the 16th Annual Ocean and Coastal Amateur Photography Contest. Discover images of our ocean’s beauty, wonder and excitement. We talk with Sylvie Lee, program coordinator for the California Coastal Commission, who discusses the winning entries from more than 1,200 photos.