Welcome to the 14th annual California ocean and coastal amateur photography contest, sponsored by the California Coastal Commission, the California Thank You Ocean campaign, and Fairmont Hotels of California. The contest features photographs that reflect the importance that the coast and ocean has for California residents and the role that the Coastal Commission, Natural Resources Agency and Ocean Protection Council have played in preserving coastal and marine resources.
Congratulations to our 2012 Contest Winners!
Judges’ 1st Choice Winner
Liz Levy, Point Cabrillo Light Station, Mendocino County
Judges’ 2nd Choice Winner
Herbert Knufken, Peregrine Falcon and Ground Squirrel
Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, San Diego County
Judges’ 3rd Choice Winner
Gary Powell, Hermissenda crassicornis nudibranch, Morro Bay
Viewers’ Choice Winners
|Viewers’ Choice 1st Place
“Big Sur Waterfall” by Joel Goldstein
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
|Viewers’ Choice 2nd Place
“Snowy Egret Flying” by Mark Singer
Snowy Egret flying in for a landing
Talbert Marsh, Huntington Beach
2012 Honorable Mentions
Click images to enlarge, use arrow key to advance
Check out full size images of the all the photo contest winners on the “Winners” tab above.
The contest was free and open to all amateur photographers. An amateur photographer is defined as someone who earns less than 50 percent of their income from photography. Photographs in this contest feature the following subjects:
- The scenic coast and Pacific Ocean off California,
- People and the California coast, and
- California ocean and coastal wildlife.
Photographs must be taken from a public place. Plants and animals depicted in photos should be native species in their natural settings. Photographs may be in color or black and white and must be the original work and exclusive property of the photographer. For complete photography contest rules, please see Contest Rules.
- Contest Opens: May 29, 2012
- Submission Deadline: July 13, 2012
- Voting Deadline: July 27, 2012
- Announcement of Viewers’ Choice: Early August 2012
- Announcement of Judges’ Choice: By the end of September 2012
Five winners were announced for this contest. Online voters selected two “viewers’ choice” winner, while a panel of professional photographers, naturalists, and Coastal Commission and Thank You Ocean staff selected “judges’ choice” winners for first, second, and third place.
Winners will select from the following donated prizes:
- An overnight stay in Sonoma County, plus a bottle of wine and breakfast for two, courtesy of The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa.
- An overnight stay in Orange County, plus valet parking and breakfast for two, courtesy of the Fairmont Newport Beach hotel.
- An overnight stay in San Jose, with breakfast for two, courtesy of the Fairmont San Jose hotel.
- A two night stay in San Francisco, courtesy of the Fairmont Hotel San Francisco atop Nob Hill.
- A dining cruise aboard a yacht from a choice of five locations, courtesy of Hornblower Cruises & Events.
About the Contest: “Seeing our Watery World Through a Watery Lens”